Doug Jay

I went to a blues jam at The Sunset Grille in Annandale, Virginia last
night. Usually several fine local players show up to this jam, including
house band player Roger Edsall. When I got there Roger told me "Doug
might be here." I asked him Doug who, and he told me Doug Jay. Apparently
he's from this area originally and he was in town for a few days. I've
seen the ad for his new album in several blues magazines and newsletters
(and in Mississippi Saxaphone and Kevin's catalog) but I had never
actually heard him play. He showed up around 11:30 and started playing at
around 12:15. Unfortunately it was getting late  and I had a long drive
home, but I did stick around for a couple of songs. The first was a great
chromatic instrumental shuffle, and the second was an up tempo jump
number, with a couple of vocal verses. It sounded like he was playing
some high end first position stuff as I was leaving. He ws definitely
worth staying up to listen to. I'm going to have to get his album now.

-Steve