Re: CMcCoy/Accordion

--- Begin Message ---
    Gordon et-al,

    	I enjoyed the post from the Accordion list - I thought it was
    appropriate for HARP-L and very interesting that they were discussing
    bending - I never knew it was possible (never thought about it). Now I'll
    have to find some Art Van Damm recordings (I didn't know he was still
    around) and listen closely to see if he does it. I used to have several of
    his 45's (you remember, the forerunner to CD's) ;-)
    -----
    	BTW - The accordion subject reminds me of a funny story - I hope I
    haven't already posted this. A few years ago I got a call at work from a
    harmonica buddy - he was all excited and said the 'Harmonika Boys' are
    playing at Max & Erma's tonight. (Now this WAS exciting - we don't get
    many harmonica acts in Columbus). Anyway, I said who are they - and he
    said I don't know - they are from Cincinnati. So I got on the phone and
    called everyone in the Harmonica club. We showed up dressed in our
    official uniforms (red vests - BSHC bolo ties) - ordered our dinners and
    awaited the show. Well friends, if you haven't figured it out yet -
    Harmonika in German means accordion and the act was two very talented
    young lads playing accordion. Oh well -- it was a good show anyway.
    -----
    	Charlie McCoy - is there any end to his talents? I recall a SPAH
    convention ??? years ago when Jerry Adler (Larry's brother) was one of the
    headline actS for Saturday night. I don't recall the circumstances but the
    local bass player who was hired didn't show up or couldn't cut the charts
    or something. Charlie, also a headliner that night, was waiting his turn
    for a sound check and hearing of the dilemma, offered to play bass -- This
    was just a couple hours before show time. At show time, there was Charlie
    reading Jerry's charts cold and playing electric bass, seemingly with no
    effort. And what a gentleman to do that when he had his own show to worry
    about!

    Just some musings - the list is a little slow today.

          Jack Ely - Columbus, Ohio U.S.A.      ely.j@xxxxxxxxxxxxx@pmdf

--- End Message ---