Re: Junior Wells

The problem with legends (especially living ones) is that they tend
make us (read "me", in that case) forget the man that stands behind it.
I admit that my expectations of Junior Wells might have been a bit
unrealistic, given that the man is not getting any younger (legends
don't tend to age as fast). And heck, if the man loves the bottle, it's
up to me to take it or leave it, and in retrospect I'm glad I did
take it. I had the chance to meet the man backstage before the show
and when another fan came around to have his harp case autographed
it was hard to say which of the two was the most grateful: the fan, for
having his dream fulfilled, or Junior, for being showered with so
much admiration.

I was expecting a Star, forgetting that most of the time Stars are
as insipid as reliable. Instead I saw the legend and heard the man.
I'll know what to expect next time (far from me the idea that he should
retire).

Eric

P.S.: Tim, thanks for the advice on how to "dissect" a 1896. As soon as
I do it, I'll let you know how it went. + I've hit my first overblown
note today (6 blow on C). I don't have a clue how I did it, and I can't
repeat at will, but it is still a real high.