Re: 1896 Maintenance

Here is the problem, Eric. They are NOT screws, they are nails. It looks
like my Marine Band comb treatment post didn't make it to the list, so I'll
try to sum it up. Here is what I do. Wrap a large( those blue ones on celery
are good ) rubberband around your harp to secure the cover plates. Take a
thin, sturdy tool( I use a butter knife filed down a little on the end) and
gently pry up a little on the ends of the covers, until the nails start to
come out. Now you have a little nailhead exposed and you can remove it with
a pair of needlenose pliers. Take all four of them out and now you have a
harp with the coverplates secured with a rubberband. Using a Dremel tool,
drill a 1/16 hole all they way thru the harp where each of the nail were.
Now insert your small bolts thru the holes and secure them with nuts. ( You
can get the small nuts and bolts at any fastener supply. ) You now have a
Marine Band with removable/replaceble cover plates. This is the first step
in tuning a Marine Band as well.

I hope it helps. Let me know.
PS Don't be afraid, think Nike, "Just Do IT!"

Tim Moody