Correction Re: Saxophone

I want to thank Winslow Yerxa for pointing out some incorrect
information in my previous artile on Saxophone ranges.

I wrote the following text:

 \\ The Bb Soprano Sax sounds minor seventh higher and the Eb
 \\ Alto Sax sounds a minor third higher. Both of these intervals
 \\ produce a tone which is higher than the written note on the
 \\ musical staff. The Bb Tenor Sax sounds major second lower and
 \\ the Eb Baritone Sax sounds a major sixth lower as well.
 \\ Notice that the Sop Alt transpose up and the Ten and Bar
 \\ Saxes transpose down, but all four transpose within one
 \\ octave from the written note. The Bb Bass Sax sounds a major
 \\ ninth lower and the Contrabass Sax sounds a major thirteenth
 \\ lower than the written note. Both of these saxes transpose
 \\ greater than an octave.

Winslow wrote to me:

\You have them all an octave too high. Check your orchestration
\books.

And I did get out one of the books, blew several layers of dust
off of it and found that I was infact off by one octave.  Below
is a corrected version of the text:

    The Bb Soprano Sax sounds a major second lower and the Eb
    Alto Sax sounds a major sixth lower.  The Bb Tenor Sax sounds
    an octave and a major second lower and the Eb Baritone Sax
    sounds an octave plus a major sixth lower as well. The Bb
    Bass Sax sounds two octaves and a major second lower while
    the Eb Contrabass Sax sounds two octaves and a major sixth
    lower than the written note.

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks again Winslow.

George

--
George Miklas, Bass Harmonicist, Jerry Murad's Harmonicats
E-Mail:   ah567@xxxxxxxxxxx   Music SIG: xx102@xxxxxxxxxxx