Re: Marine Band Swelling

tony_m <morielli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>I generally don't like to soak my harps, and comb swelling can become a
>problem after playing for an extended period.  I have found that

I haven't had a problem with that yet, since I only own harps with
plastic combs (at the time being).  But my cousin has a couple with
wood combs and I'll ask him (although I doubt he does anything about
it).

>thoroughly soaking the comb with Dow Corning 200 polydimethylsiloxane (the
>same silicone they inject into peoples lips etc.) completely prevents
>swelling.

That's pretty interesting....  Out of curiousity, where did you get
the DC stuff?  Btw, my Dad works at DC in the Elizabethtown Plant
(that's in Kentucky for you folks that don't know).  If it is
something that is easy to get, I may be able to get him to get some
for me (and possibly other who might want some)...SSHHHH!!!!  =;)

This has nothing to do with harps, but did you know that Dow Corning
is the company that makes Silly Puddy (pretty cool huh?...I've got a
LOT of it).  Just thought I'd throw that out.

>  It's important to treat the harp before playing it and it will
>obviously only work on a harp that starts out with a good seal.  It's
>important to use the stuff that's safe for human consumption.  Does anyone
>else do this?  Are their other favorite methods for treating wooden harps?

How often do you treat your harp?  Is it just when you first get it,
and then maybe in a few months if it needs it?  Or is it every time
you play?

Chris