RE: HARP-L Digest V94 #3

REGARDING THE ADDITION OF A NEWSGROUP INTERFACE TO THIS LIST:

I truly do not see why people think that opening a newsgroup interface is
gonna be the end to the friendly goings-on here.  As I stated long ago
when the debate arose (I guess for the first time), I read e.g.
rec.sport.disc, where folks are talking about various frisbee sports.
To my knowledge, there has never been any kind of flame war started
because some "outsider" had access to the group and came in and started
stirring things up.  In fact, in the almost 3 years that I've been reading it,
there has been only one time that anything remotely *resembling* a flame
war has crept up amongst the readers themselves.  And *that* was more
like a two/three-day *battle*, even then.

But I mean really, who are you gonna offend by talking
about harps?  I mean, some ...abortion or ...muslim or ...racism or
...christians or ...feminism -type groups are *much* more likely to
draw in antagonists than ....harp ones, don't you think?

There is a group, was something along the lines of
soc.culture.intercultural, that I read for maybe 2 weeks.  Within
a week of its creation there was some bozo on there who posted something
like: "All intercultural relationships are evil and you people are sickos".
Unfortunately, people didn't have the since to ignore this guy, so for the
next week you got to read folks retaliations.  Great.

My point is, though, that no matter how hard I try, I can't see some
news.drifter happening upon rec.music.harp or whatever it will be and
saying, "Hey, I think I'll post a flame-invoking article...
a' la subject line: HOHNER SPECIAL-20'S SUCK EGGS"  For one thing it's
just not the type of newsgroup to attract that kind of person, and for
another, he's not gonna even know to try and bash Special-20's!  Oh, sure,
he could bash harmonicas in general, true.  If no one takes the bait,
we're rid of the moron in no time.  But seriously, I don't think it'll
ever happen.

Sorry to ramble -- I just think folks are being a lot more paranoid than
is called for.  It's not a *totally* cruel world out there.

P.S.  I want to say that the digest form of the list is *extremely*
useful for me.  Thanks to Chris for setting it up.  And folks, please
understand that the formation of the newsgroup should *not* hinder your
ability to participate in the conversation.  RELAX!  Chris has everything
under control.  Chris?  Chris?  =o)
And BTW, I'm as yet just a harmonica-player-wannabe, so feel free to ignore
all of my opinions if you want.  =o)

*                              * "By twisting, pulling & spinning sports   *
*  Paul V. Brown               *  resulting in not only getting enter-     *
*  paul.v.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  *  tainment but also training arms & breast *
*  puh. +358 31 2407 375       *  available for health"                    *
*                              *      --instructions on toy from Taiwan    *