Throat (Diaphragm) Vibrato

My two cents worth on throat vibrato:

My breakthrough with throat vibrato came when I began to consciously think
of playing the harp from the gut or diaphragm, like a singer or a flutist,
etc. I would tighten, drawing in about halfway, those stomach muscles that
control the diaphragm, and holding that constriction, try to vary evenly
the amount of air I drew in to get that wavering tone. Playing along with a
slow blues seemed to help, like Johnny WinterÕs version of Mean Mistreater,
using a D harp (I like the harp on that album. Anybody know who it is?) At
first it took a lot of effort and all my available muscle strength. Later I
could do it in a more relaxed manner. It was harder for me to learn to do
this blowing (I still donÕt blow throat vibrato quite as well as draw). But
in a few weeks I was controlling it pretty good. It wasnÕt much longer
before my throat vibrato became almost unconscious, occuring only when I
sensed it to be appropiate. ItÕs true what Jack says, that it seems to come
from the throat, although it is really Ôdiaphragm vibratoÕ-vibrato which
utilizes the full, though restrained, strength of the lungs to get that
slow, lowdown and dirty blue sound.

P.S. Does anybody know where, if anywhere, Sonny Terry does ÒRunning
BluesÓ. I saw a film clip of him doing this song twenty years ago. I
havenÕt seen it on a record but would like to find it. Thanks in advance
for any help.

Ted Allbritton