Non-harp but of interest

--- Begin Message ---
                  NOT HARMONICA BUT WORTHY OF NOTE NONE THE LESS

   Buskers Columbus, the official organization of street performers in
   Columbus, recently arranged a concert by nationally known entertainer John
   Hartford (Gentle On My Mind). During his visit John found time to present a
   workshop at Sweetwater Music. The workshop was informal and laid back, much
   like John is, and was more of a question and answer period, telling about
   some of his experiences with some licks thrown in on banjo and fiddle. Often
   in his act John will fiddle and tap out a rhythm with his feet sort of Cajun
   style except he uses a four by four plywood board with a mic attached, it's
   a nice effect. John grew up near the Mississippi river and loved the
   lifestyle so much that he became a riverboat pilot. He still plies the river
   whenever he can. If you still don't know who I'm talking about maybe you
   remember the Glen Cambell TV show a few years back. John was featured weekly
   on his banjo or fiddle, he played with lightning speed but with a
   nonchalance that made it seem easy. One of John's responses impressed me and
   obviously others too. Harold Kohn, Executive Director of Buskers Columbus
   printed these comments from John in the Buskers Quarterly newsletter. Thank
   you Harold for permission to reprint the following.

      YOURS, MINE AND OURS:

      	  A performer treads a fine line in determining how to please an
          audience and still maintain his own artistic signature. When
          asked how he plans his own show, John Hartford had this to say.
          Poet that he is, the following lyrical passages of his were
          captured.

           "Mine are the ones I like.
            Ours are the ones that we both like.
            Yours are the ones you like and I ???
            If I open with one of yours and you like that, then
            I'll play one of mine.
            If I play one mine and it becomes one of ours... then I'll
            play another one of mine. (If not then it's back to
            one of yours).
            I try to earn the privilege of playing one of mine."

           What a nice philosophy for any performer to follow. Jack Ely

                                       -------

            Hope you don't mind my posting this - It is a reprint from
            Harmonica Dispatch 1988. The philosophy at the end is what I
            really love - I look this article up and re-read it often.
            (Actually I have a copy in my harmonica case).

           BTW - John does play some harp and did so at his workshop.

           Jack Ely          ely.j@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

--- End Message ---