Re: Switching Between Tongue Blocking And Puckering

>I own a lot more Sonny Boy (both I & II), Little Walter, Taj Mahal,
>and Carey Bell material, so if anyone knows other songs on which they
>switch between tongue-block and puckering, let me know.

The best place to hear that sort of thing is on the fast boogies. Horton
does it all the time in the various versions of Walter's Boogie, he
tongue-blocks a lot of it but then when he does those back&forth triplets
on the 2 and 3 draw he's not blocking anymore. And Little Walter does it
too, try songs like "Back Track" or "Boogie."

Taj, I don't think blocks that much, and I don't know Carey's material as
well -- tho the album he did with Walter Horton is a veritable how-to for
Chicago blues harp. SBW I or II, I don't hear it as much but maybe that's
because they didn't play amplified? I don't know -- most of the SBW II
stuff that I'm familar with is not blocked.

Ken Ficara                                            ficara@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
       AOL: KenFicara / Compu$erve: 71311,1461 / Prodigy: (NOT!)