Re: The Gb scale.

Whew!  My first week reading this list, and I'm already into music theory!
Thanks to one and all for taking the time to explain this stuff.  (It's
interesting that I'm not the only one around here who plays/has played the
harp and tuba.  Are there more than two of us?)

At the end of Bill Long's post this morning, he mentioned that he has harps
in six keys.  I'm learning blues harp, and my first four keys were C, A, G,
and D.  Bill's next two are Eb and F, but I was aiming more toward B and E.
(B to go with the Guy/Wells album _Alone and Acoustic_, E because it seemed
like the next most common key; I find myself using my D harp where the octave
starts with draw 4; this is E, right?)

I thought I'd mention something about melodic versus harmonic minors.  After
listening to a great klezmer jazz group in New Orleans this summer, I ordered
a Lee Oskar harp in harmonic C minor.  It's amazing to find these really
funky notes without having to bend for them.  As easy as it is to stumble
upon interesting melodies on regular harps, it's even easier on this one.
I know that this is somehow related to the fact that this harp can't be
played cross harp like a regular one can; any volunteers to explain in more
detail?

dave.