Shopping for my first Chromatic Harp.

Hi,

I hope everyone had a good holiday break.

One of my Christmas presents this year was "Harmonicas, Harps, and
Heavy Breathers."  I just finished the part about Soloists and I'm
getting ready to start the section on Folk Music.

Let me back up a second before I mention more about what I saw in
the book.  I've finally decided that I am DEFINITELY going to buy a
Chromatic Harp (after much deliberating).  I've read what everyone has
said about the different types (the few that were mentioned anyway)
and I've looked around some.  But I've still got some questions.

Before the questions I'll jump back to the book for a second.  It
seemed to me, that several of the people in HHHB said that they use
the Hohner #270 Chromatic Harp (including Larry Adler, Richard
Hayman {tuned to A instead of C}, and Alan "Blackie" Schackner").

George has said the #260 is a good beginners Chromatic, having 2 & 1/2
of the octaves present that is on the #270, it is easier to carry
around, and it is a bit cheaper (price wise) with a good tone to boot.

Winslow believes that it would be better not to bother with the 10
holed #260 since the extra 1/2 octave is more desireable than a more
compact model.

I was planning on buying a #260, because it is cheaper and I have very
limited funds.  But I'm thinking about going ahead and getting a #270
(I'll just have to save for a couple of extra months).  Is there
anything anyone can say about either model that would definitely make
me want (or not want) to get it???

Also, in HHHB, Blackie Schackner says this:
   "I'm a Hohner man most of the time.  I play the #270.  It feels
   like it's part of you; it fits nicely in the hand.  You can do
   anything on it.  The 64 Chromonica is too big, and the low notes
   hang up on it.  To my mind, the #270 has more guts.  Hohner makes
   it in two different configurations; one has longer reeds.  I prefer
   that model because it usually lasts longer."

Would anyone care to tell me about this?  I hadn't heard that there
was more than one configuration of the #270.  Which one is the most
commonly sold, which one is better, etc?

Mr. Schackner continues to say:
   "If you play a chomatic tuned to 440, right away you're out of
   tune, because very often the piano is a little brilliant, so the
   whole orchestra is slightly sharp.  And they'll say, 'Oh, those
   damn harmonicas.'  Iusually play 443s.  On recording dates I'll
   bring a 440, a 443, and a 445.  You have to order them from the
   factory."

I'm not clear on the 440 and 443.  I realize that it has to due with
Physics, the frequencies and all, but which is what?  I believe I had
heard on here before that 440 is A...is that correct?  Anyone willing
to clarify this one for me?

Moving on to a different harp now, I have a Mel-Bay catalog which
shows a few harps (mostly diatonics:  GLH and Bluesband by Hohner, and
Bac Pac, Silvertone, and Star Performer by Huang).  They also have ONE
Chromatic:  the Huang Professional 1248 Harp, which is a 12 holed
Chromatic with a slide (that looks pretty much like the #270, as far
as I can tell except the holes are round rather than square as on the
#270 {at least on the photo of a #270 that I have}).

Anybody have a yea or a nah on the Huang Professional?

Thanks for the help!

Here's to the Harp in '94!

Chris
pierccm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx