making a marine band playable ?

hi,

I like the sound of marine bands a lot - but if only they had a good seal
and the wood didn't end up shooting out the front eveytime you play it.
And then retreating afterwards , leaving a gap big enough for you to
loose a small car down.

Any tips on making one of these playable - like treating the wood to stop
the expansion ? Is there a NON-TOXIC substance that would do the job?
Could you use some form of grease like vaseline to seal the reed plates
to the comb real well?

Come on, spill the beans. Give me Information .....

Bye-ee,

Paul.