Re: Primal harp?

On Mon, 5 Dec 1994, Bruce Steinberg wrote:

> I've been wondering -- what is everyone's first recollection of
> ever just ~being aware~ of harmonicas?  Not necessarily playing
> one, but just getting turned on to the concept in general.

  The first I can remember was at the Smithsonian Folklife Festival. I
was very young (maybe four or five years old) and some country or
bluegrass player was making the harp talk - doing the old "I want my
mama, I wannadrink of water" tune. (I'm not sure what it's called. Dr.
Ross called it "The Mama Blues.") I don't know who the player was but it
sure sounded great. I remember thinking that I would love to be able to
do that someday. Well, twenty or so years later I still can't make the
harp talk quite like that, but I'm working on it. Too bad I didn't start
playing back then when I was first inspired!

   -Steve