Re: Feedback Problems

On Thu, 1 Dec 1994 KRCRANDA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I checked the archives for helpful hints on controling feedback but aside from
> the mention of a noise gate, I did not find anything that would solve my
> problem. I am aware of the inherent difficulties with high impedence
> microphones and old tube amps but I thought if I described my rig, someone on
> the list may have a suggestion.
>
> I am currently playing with a SURE silver bullet microphone (late 50's) which
> I believe has a controlled reluctance element. My amp is a 1970 Fender Super
> Reverb (original parts and speakers). I have the Mid and Treble at about 5.5
> and the Bass at 10, Reverb at 3.25 and speed and intensity at 0. I can only
> turn my volume to about 3 before I start encountering feedback problems.

Several suggestions:

First, consider choking off a bunch of that treble...turning it down to,
oh, 2 or 3 or so. If your amp isn't bright enough when you do this, put
it on a milk crate or something to get it off the floor (cuts boominess
considerably and makes it easier to hear).

--Also, consider plugging
your mic into the #2 input (less hot on most Fenders) rather than the #1.

--Buy a graphic equalizer stomp box. This not only gives you more precise
tone control, but also includes a pre-amp, letting you get more control
over your input.

--Change out one or more of your 12AX7A pre-amp tubes for 12AT7 or less
common 12AY7 tubes. The 12AT7 tubes, in particular, dramatically cut
feedback on my Bassman reissue (at the cost of overdrive and a bit of tone).
My Bassman has three pre-amp tubes, all of which are 12AX7As..I now use
'em in this order: 12AY7, 12AX7A, 12AT7. Works for me. Pre-amp tubes are
cheap as well.