RE: Another lurker emerges

Bill,
>It couldn't possibly be the Boston Pops, or could it?......I seem to remember
>>that this guy wore glasses (perhaps black plastic frames), so maybe this
>wasn't >Corky Siegel,

I can't remember the details. I was on the road, it was late at night and I
picked it up on a PBS station near Vail, CO. John B. Sebastian(of the
Lovin' Spoonful) wears glasses & he is a somewhat underrated but fabulous
player. It coul've been him.

>His reply was something like "I don't read music", too which the orchestra
>guys >said "wow, how can you play all of these diff. songs if you don't have
>and/or >read music?"

I had an experience like this when I was with the National Touring Company
of Big River - the Broadway Musical that Roger Miller wrote the music for.
Myself, the fiddler & guitarist were all ear players although we were given
a score. It was Greek to me. The rest of the orchestra were trained
musicians(funny how ear musicians aren't trained, maybe it's because
they're learned). The ear musicians had to prove themselves as "true"
musicians to the music director. It was a frustrating couple of months out
of a year long tour but he finally came around and realized we were as
capable as the next musician. It was a prejudice I hadn't experienced
before having played in rock & blues bands. It was a valuable experience
though and I would recommend a Big River trip to any harp player.

Rick B.