RE: Ignorant chromatic question

>        Since we are talking about chromatics, I don't play my chromatic
>nearly enough.
>Anyone got some decent exercises for it?  At one point I memorized and
>practiced the scales of
>
>the keys of A,D,E, and of course C. But this was very boring, and really
>didn't inspire me.

Start with your favorite songs, esp if they're simple melodies and 'go for
it' by ear.  Or get some music, if you like to read -- and copping lix from
records is one of the oldest tricks in the book.

Identify where you're weak or can't get it, ask around (like this list) and
you're off.  You'll proably go back to scales, but maybe in a different way
and with more inspiration (like try to waffle your way up the scale in
major and minor thirds, or fourths, or fifths, or do it in triplets,
different modes, appregios, etc).  There's some posts back in '93 that
might be worth pulling from the archives on this subject (Winslow's again
:)  Check it out.

I started back up in February of this year after a very long hiatus, and
after finding this list in April, things have really picked up.  I still
don't know much, but I do know if I don't know the band to keep my harp in
my pocket no matter what the bartender says.. ;) I'm gone. ...

Regards,                  haandruss@xxxxxxx
Harv                      *Opinions my own*