A Good Mike

On Aug 23, 12:07pm, bob unger wrote:
> Subject: Re: SM58 mic
> I've seen the SM58 for $108 at Sam Ash.
> BU
> bob@xxxxxxxxx
>-- End of excerpt from bob unger

Before a purchase is made you may want to consider this. I have used a variety
of microphones and currently own a Shure 58 and an EV 357 ndym. I have also
played through the SM 57 often when sitting in with other bands - it seems
that is one mike they are willing to spare to the poor harp player. Everybody
is correct that cheaper mikes may be suitable for your need. The cheapest one
I own I bought for $3 at an auction and had it rewired.

Since someone may want to sing as well sooner or later, I really prefer the EV
357. It has taken alot of abuse and I like the tone for harp whether using it
as a hand held mike or playing off the mike from the stand.  I have had few
problems with feed back and the mount is anti-shock - ie.  doesn't pick up
much handling noise. I have tried many mikes including very expensive ones
like a German made Beyer which is a ribbon mike thaat breaks easilly if
dropped (Lee Oskar use to use one) and I also own bullets, rewired grocery
store mikes, a Shaker and a Sennheiser. I use them for different purposes but
if I can take only one with me on travel and no amp then I take the EV 357
which costs range from $115 to $150 depending. I heard that EV is bringing out
a new line this Fall so you may be able to find a bargain.

Shure also makes a comparable model called the Beta 57 and 58. But for vocals
and playing harp through a PA I love my EV 357. As Charlie Musselwhite once
told me "I don't like to be too dependent on an amp, it's "your" tone that
counts". I also like the Shure 58 - an old reliable and the SM 57 although I
don't prefer the narrowness of it.  I even have one of the old Hohner
rubberized diatonic harp pick ups (good for playing through a rack). I don't
think they make them any more.

I use the other mikes for different amps. For example I like the Shaker when
playing through my old Gibson stereo amp but that is about it. I carry it in
my bag in case my bullet goes out on me as the Shaker is virtually
indestructible and adequate but not my favorite and horrendous alone (for me)
straight through a PA.

Hope this helps. I recommend buying a certain level of overall quality and
perhaps versatility but that is your call. Good luck with your purchase. The
choices are numerous.