Re: Joe Filisko

On Thu, 11 Aug 1994, Barry Schaede wrote:

> stuff here and other places about the superior tone you get with the
> blocking technique.  Nowhere have I read that you give up speed by
> blocking.  Does Madcat block?  How about Lee Oskar, Mickey Raphael, or
> Charlie McCoy?  Just curious about the different styles people use to
> acheive the results they get.  Comments on personal styles of playing are
> welcomed.  FJM

Madcat does both,  if I remember right Lee Oskar puckers,  I think Mickey
mainly toungue blocks but does both and Charlie McCoy tongue blocks.

I am a pure pucker player and from what I have seen and heard tongue blocking
does give the superior tone.  However now that I understand why it does I
am learning to get the same tone by puckering.  I know Joe Filisko does
some amazing things and he told me a week ago "blocking is where it's at"
I can see why.  He can bend octaves or any other interval.(If you don't
think it is possible call him and hope you get his answering machine for
a demonstration)  I can't do that puckering!  But when Joe plays fast he
puckers.  He played The Turkish March for me in Memphis and he said he
puckerd that.  On the other hand listen to Charlie McCoy's new version of
Orange Blossom Special for some incredible tongue blocking speed and
precision.

-Chris Michalek