Blues Harp Weekend

I saw several great shows last week and this past weekend, and there are
more coming. All of the shows were at Tornado Alley, in Wheaton, Amryland
(one of my favorite clubs).

Thursday was Billy Boy Arnold with Bob Margolin. He was great, but I
only caught one set. I think he was doing the second and fourth sets and
I couldn't stay out too late to catch his second set. He looked younger
than Margolin! He did some of his early hits ("I Wish You Would" and "I
ain't got you" which he claimed to have written). And he did a nice
version of "Baby Please Don't Go" which reminded me of an amplified Sonny
Boy I. I'm now the proud owner of a copy of Mississippi Saxaphone with
Billy Boy on the cover, signed by him.

Saturday was Sugar Blue. His style is not my favorite, but every harp
player should check him out at least once. He played through his Mesa
Boogie (the one Keith Richards gave him) and I think an Astatic mic. The
mic was wireless and he was walking all around the club playing. The only
things that annoyed me were the volume (the band was LOUD!!!) and some of
the ultra funky arrangements. I'm more into the down home, traditional
harp sound.

The best show of the weekend was the James Harman band. It was the first
time I saw him and he was just incredible. He could make it just as a
singer but he's an incedible harp player as well. He did a lot from his
latest album "Cards on the Table." One thing I like about his recordings
is that he is a little reserved and doesn't overplay. He contrasted that
live - he didn't overplay, but he got away with playing some very flashy
stuff that would sound overdone by a less experienced or controlled
player. He's a really nice guy too. He hung out with audience members and
talked and signed photos after the show was over. I talked harps, amps
and harp playing with him for a while - he's a real techie when it comes
to equipment. He told the audience to come out to party with him Monday
night at the Nighthawks show (also at Tornado Alley). So I'll be back
there tonigt!

And I have a free pass for the Mark Hummel show on Thursday and I think
after that I'm going to take a break from that club for a while!