Randy's amp question

<From blkcat!f157.n109.z1.fidonet.org!Randy.Lilleston@xxxxxxxxxxxx Tue Mar 23
 07:23:54 1993
Sender: blkcat!Uucp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Peavey amps
To: gmayhew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Randy wrote to me in response to my recommendation of the
Peavey Classic 50/410 amp:

George -
 Thanks for the "harmonica list" info the other day
concerning the Peavey amp. Isn't the Classic a "tweed reissue"
style amp? Thought I saw one at the music store the other day.
Does it distort at all or is it a "clean" amp? I like a slightly
(not ridiculously) distorted sound.

I currently am using a Fender Princeton Chorus, which is a
transistor amp. I'm actually reasonably happy with it -
particularly the way it lets you shape the sound in many
ways - but it is a little harsh, thanks to lack of tubes.
The spring reverb doesn't quite do the job on stage, either.

Are you satisfied with the quality of your amp? Do you play
much on stage in a band? I play in a jump blues band and
the Peavey is extremely tempting - not just for its
potential sound, but for its looks. How would you rate
its reliability? Does it seem solidly built? Will it take
nights o' abuse? That's never a question with a Fender,
but I get mixed opinions on Peaveys.

 Thanks for your help, and I'd 'preciate any comments. It
can be a little tough sending internet mail to me because
of my bizarro Fidonet address, but I'd appreciate anything.
Heck, just send it to the harp list and let everybody see
it, for that matter.

Thanks again...
Randy "Blowin' All Night" Lilleston

My comments:

The Classic 50 is indeed a "tweed reissue."  It somewhat
resembles a Fender tweed Bassman, but it's slightly
larger, more ruggedly built, and heavier.

It has a lead channel with pre and post gain settings.  That
means you can dial in distortion if you want to.  You can get
a gritty tone at low volume.

I bought mine in late December, and haven't played out
with it.  I exchanged e-mail with a guy who has had one for
a while and uses it in his band.  He estimated he's had
over 1,000 trouble free hours of use.  The amp has a cooling
fan, which undoubtedly extends tube life.

The particular amp I have is not at all feedback prone,
although another Classic 50 I tried out was more sensitive.
I also played through a '59 Bassman reissue that was sitting
right next to the two Peaveys.  I bought the Peavey.

Here's the comparison I made:

			Classic 50	'59 Bassman

Great harp tone		yes		yes, at high volume
Power			50 watts	45 watts
Speakers		4-10 inch	4-10 inch
Channels		normal, lead	normal, bright
Reverb			yes		no
EQ			Lo, mid, treb.	Lo, mid, treb.
Controllable distortion	yes		no
Presence control	yes		no
Cooling fan		yes		no
Bluesy vintage look	yes		yes
Fender nameplate	no		yes
Discounted price	$550		$700

Honestly, I was convinced I had to have a Fender amp until
I found the Classic 50.  Vintage amps are harder to find,
more expensive, and less reliable than they ever were.
This is a brand new amp that's made well, sounds great,
and is worth the money.

<From the rock 'n roll capitol of the world, Cleveland, Ohio.
(And you thought YOU had the blues)

George