Re: Hering

--Boundary (ID hpy6mmWsayJJ5Mo+fxJ13g)

Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1993 11:56:00 EST
From: "JACK ELY"@mrgate.mec.ohio.gov
Subject: Re: Hering
Posting-date: Mon, 15 Mar 1993 00:00:00 EST
A1-type: DOCUMENT

    George writes....
    >This is just to caution anyone who is thinking about buying a
    >Hering chromatic.  There are two different models.  The good
    >one is called a Membo (or something like that).  It is nicely
    >made and sounds good.  It has a machined mouthpiece with
    >round holes.  There is a picture of Toots Thielemans playing
    >this model on one of his albums from the early 60's.  Charlie
    >Musselwhite plays them, too.
    >
    >The other model has a cast mouthpiece with square holes.  It
    >plays unevenly.  The lower pitched reeds rattle.  It's not a
    >good harp for the money.  I'm stuck with two of them.  I was
    >only aware of the Membo when I ordered a 12-hole and a
    >16-hole from Harmonica World-St. Louis.  When these arrived
    >I was VERY disappointed.  They've been relegated to my
    >"Oh, well, at least I learned not to buy one of these again
    >but maybe it'll come in handy some day" drawer.  As I recall,
    >this model is the Hering Professional.
    >
    >George
    ----------------
    Hering Harmonicas:

        George's advice is well founded - Hering has had a reputation for poor
    quality control but I think under recent new management they are trying to
    get their act together. I didn't like the square hole Herings either,
    mainly just because of the feel. The only Herings I own are the 16 hole
    models - at least one of each style change. The first ones were round
    holes with a laminated wood comb and nailed reed plates, I liked it
    because it had the look and feel of the prewar Hohners, the laminated comb
    should resist warping, but quality was not consistent. Then they went to a
    plastic comb with (ugh) square holes, it is bigger and bulkier. Now Hering
    has reverted to round holes on all current models (If you get a NEW one
    and not something out of someone's old inventory you will get round
    holes). I personally like the Herings except for the square hole models.
    For the price I just blow hell out of them for a year or two and then buy
    a new one. The new models use bolts to fasten the reed plates to the comb
    - thus easier to disassemble. (I can do repairs if I have to but I'm just
    too lazy).  [This is not an endorsement of Hering - just my opinions].

    P.S. Tip to anyone planing to play chromatic harmonica - Do yourself a
    favor and learn something about harmonica maintenance and repair - Even a
    basic knowledge will save lots of headaches.
                                                                Jack Ely

--Boundary (ID hpy6mmWsayJJ5Mo+fxJ13g)--