Re: Chromatic harp questions...

> I recently got a copy of Kevin's Harps catalog - I'm probably going to get a
> chromatic harp next.  I see that Hohner has 2 different types, a Chrometa and
> Chromonica.  Can anyone briefly explain the difference?  The Chrometa is quite
> a bit cheaper - would it be a good one to start out with?  So far, I've only
> been playing diatonics.
>    Thanks for the info!
>        Brian
>        brian.morgan@xxxxxxxx

I strongly suggest spending the extra money on the Chromonica (Model 270).  It
is a much better instrument than the Chrometta.
I bought a Chrometta thinking it would be a nice cheap chromatic to keep in my
glove compartment.  The problem is that it doesn't play very well.  The air
flow needed in each hole varies too much, the holes are too big, the tone is
shabby.

I think the Chrometta is probably fine for a kid, but if you're even halfway
serious, go for the better harp.

By the way, Hohner also makes a Model 260 chromatic in C and G.  It's just like
the Model 270, but 10 holes instead of 12.  I own one in each key, and play
them a lot.  The 260's tone seems a little richer than the 270.  I rarely use
the top 2 holes of the 270, anyway.  The 260 is shorter, of course, and costs
$10 to $15 less.  I'll point out, though, that the 270 seems to pretty much be
the standard for professionals.

George