Re: BLUES: William Clarke & Mark Hummel (forwarded)

> A couple of questions about blues harmonica players:
>
> 1) Did William Clarke ever release any more albums after his "Blowin'
>    Like Hell" release on Alligator a few years ago?  He is such a
>    great harp player.  Did he put out anything prior to that release?

William Clarke's second album is "Serious Intentions", also on Alligator.
I don't like it as much as "Blowin' Like Hell."  It could be because the
two are similar enough that the second doesn't seem as original as the
first.  Also, I really get into "Lollipop Mama" on "BLH."  On "SI"
Clarke does a version of "The Work Song" on chromatic.  I can't help
comparing it to Butterfield's version on "East-West."

> 2) Does anybody know about a new CD by Mark Hummel, a California-based
>    harp player?  My brother just saw him and his band down in Memphis
>    and they were hawking their new CD, but he didn't find out the name
>    of it or what label it's on.  I have a tape that Hummel made a few
>    years ago which features Sue Foley on guitar and Charles Brown on
>    piano, and there are some great tunes on there.  In particular, "Up
>    and Jumpin' Thang" is a blues harmonica clinic, featuring Hummel on
>    both chromatic and diatonic, switching effortlessly and fluidly.

I haven't heard of Hummel.  I'm always on the lookout for harp players
to check out.  If you get any info, please post it to the list.

George