blues harp

Finally getting around to introducing myself. I've been playing the
harp for about ten years, seriously for about the last four years. I
mostly learned on my own though I worked for a while with a
professional blues harp player which really opened up what I was
doing.

I don't play as much as I should because I do't have the time, so
mostly I end up just playing in the car or in the park or whenever I
want to relax. I play Hohner Marine Bands almost exclusively. I keep a
Special 20 in my pocket because they are easier to clean (plastic comb
and screw construction), I own a chro (the HH270) and one of the
larger 14-hole harps as well.

Some people have mentioned Hohner's Blues Harp, and what you have
"heard" about it is true -- it's easier to bend but it wears out
quicker and sounds a little thinner. It's good to learn bending on,
although my first real solid bending I did with a Pocket Pal, believe
it or not, one of Hohner's cheap harps.

I'd like to start swapping riffs and stuff, if anyone can figure out
how to notate them sensibly. I play almost entirely by ear -- I don't
read music or write it in a traditional fashion -- but I can usually
work out riffs from harp notation. There are many styles of that
though.

I'd also be interested in jamming; it would be something to get me off
my ass and playing again :-). I'm located in New Jersey and am in my
native NYC nearly every weekend; just have never had the "guts" to
show up at a Dan Lynch jam session.

It's great hearing from you all, anyway.