Congratulations Steve!

Hi Steve,  Yes you are now on "THE LIST".  I use the conventions taught by
Howard Levy in his classes and video.  It uses the circle of fifths
starting with C and going clockwise around C,G,D,A,E,B,F#,Db,Ab,Eb,Bb,F,C

With this convention is is easy to figure where you are on any harp any
position.
                                                                    (Mode)
1st position is always the key of harp.
2nd position C harp plays one to the right or G.  A plays in E      Mixolydian
3rd position C harp plays two to the right or D.  A plays in B      Dorian
4th position C harp plays three to the right or A. A plays in F#    Aeolian
5th position C harp plays four to the right or E.  A plays in Db    Lydian?

He calls out 1st flat, 2nd flat, and 3rd flat positions by moving to the
left on the list of keys above. So a C harp 1st flat plays in F, 2nd flat
position is Bb etc.

For simplicity sake, I'm going to talk about using the "C" harp here,
but of course any of the keys could be used.  I have tried to use the fifth
position for some minor key blues, but you have stirred a new thought in my
head for playing "Moondance" by Van Morrison.  I have been playing it in 4th
position (A minor Aeolian mode on the C harp) and it works well because it
goes to D minor at the break which can be done by using 3rd position on the
same harp and playing in the upper register.

Getting the A on 3 draw can be tough on the 10 hole, but if you get tired of
bending, you can do it on a solo tuned harp, tuned like a chromatic without
pushing the button or bending.

Now, I'm thinking "If I played "Moondance" in fifth position or E minor, It
would switch to A minor at the break and I could use the upper register to
get the A without bending that 3draw.  I'll try it and let you know.

I would encourage you to use the convention above because of it's
simplicity.  After you have memorized the circle of fifths, you can count
up or down from any key and find the harp you need fast without referring
to a chart.  For now I just keep a chart of the circle of fifths on my harp
case and count around clockwise for 2nd,3rd,4th etc and counterclockwise
for 1st flat, 2nd flat, etc.

On the Howard Levy video, he plays in all 7 modes.  Then shows you how to
use the overblow to play in all 12 keys on one harp.  This guy and his
video are FANTASTIC!

Love to talk harps,

dick....

--

Dick Anderson  CCMO New Matls Engineering        Telnet                 229-3110
Hewlett Packard                                  Direct Dial      1-303-229-3110