Re: Re : A stab at tab(lature) notation

> From daemon Fri Nov  6 09:39:13 1992
> >From @UKCC.uky.edu:pierccm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  Fri Nov  6 09:39:12 1992
> To: Harp List Serv <HARP-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re : A stab at tab(lature) notation
>
>     I think we could find something easy to type but also easier to read at
> a first glance. I propose something like (My Babe intro):
>
>    1    2    3    4    1    2    3    4    1    2    3    4    1    2  1/2
> b                   3 4 3 4                                   3 4 3 4
> d 2   2 3                       3    r           2 3                    3
> (1)
> (2)
>
> the first line gives the beat.
> b, d, r, ... keep the meaning defined by George. Bent notes go to the third
> and fourth lines. Spacing between beats may vary to fit more shorter notes.
>
> hope this helps.
>
> --- Pierre F. ROUBERTIES, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights
 ---
I like the idea of keeping track of the beat, Pierre.  And the form you
suggest is very much like harp diagrams that I'm used to.  I decided against
this approach because, with 3 available bends on the 3d and 10b holes, you
could use up a whole lot of space.  But if it works for you...

If we keep sharing ideas, we might be able to agree on some standards.
In the meantime, I suggest that anybody who has music to share do it
in any way that makes sense to them.  If I, as the reader, am interested
enough in what you're sharing, I'll either figure it out or ask you questions.
I'll translate what I want into musical notation, anyway, as a permanent
record.

By the way, everybody, notice that Pierre's rendition of My Babe is
different from mine.  That's absolutely cool.  When two people listen to
a recording they usually hear it differently.  That's especially true
in Little Walter's songs, which employ lots of echo, reverb, distortion,
and sloppy editing.  My teacher and I often come up with differences in
our transcriptions.  Sometimes he's right, sometimes I am.  It makes us
listen again.

I like to learn a song as close to the original as I can.  But once
I've done that, I begin changing it without thinking about it.  It's
automatic, personalizing the music.

George