[Harp-L] Seydel Chromatic Springs

Sheltraw macaroni9999@xxxxx
Fri May 5 19:44:19 EDT 2017

Hi Greg and Joe

So I made a ferrule to slip over spring screw and protect the spring's coil from the threads of the screw. The first thing I noticed (using the stiffer replacement spring which is all I presently have) is how smooth the slider now feels. Gone are the rough spots that I think are coming from the spring coil bouncing over the screw threads when the slider moves. Yes!!

So I am going to predict that if Seydel were to provide a stainless steel ferrule or use a screw that is only threaded on its distal 1/3 then they could:

(1) Use the stock spring which is less stiff than the replacement spring. I think customers would like that.

(2) Have less friction in the slider and spring assembly. I think customers would like that.

(3) Get fewer complaints of stock spring breaks because the screw threads are no longer cutting into the spring coil. I think Seydel would like that.

Ideally I think having a screw that is only threaded on its distal 1/3 is the ideal solution for two reasons:

(1) Small ferrules could be easily lost by those servicing their Saxony.

(2) The ferrule and spring is a tight fit in the spring cut-away in the comb.

What do you think, Greg? Can this be made to happen?

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone