[Harp-L] Saxony spring

Sheltraw macaroni9999@xxxxx
Thu May 4 04:20:06 EDT 2017

I have also noticed that the replacement springs for the Saxony are two stiff. I shortened the short arm of the spring and that helped but not enough.

Any ideas to make the spring less stiff?

One reason these springs may be breaking frequently is that the Saxony spring doesn't have a nice smooth peg running through its coil center like Hohner harps do. What runs through the center of a Saxony spring coil is a screw with threads along its entire length.

Maybe the friction of the threads on the inner surface of the spring coil is marking and weakening the spring there. I have noticed that both broken springs have snapped in the coil part of the spring. To reduce the chance of this happening I would like to get a screw for mounting the spring that only has threads at the distal end (for threading into the opposite reed plate) and is otherwise smooth. Any ideas where I might be able to get such a screw?

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone