[Harp-L] Harp-L Digest, Vol 163, Issue 42

Darrell Mahone dlmahone@xxxxx
Wed Mar 29 15:10:41 EDT 2017

 JJ is playing with some of his old friends in Tulsa. The harmonica player is Junior Markham. Leon Russell refers to Junior in his song Shoot Out On The Plantation. The male sax player is Johnny Williams who was in Leon's high school band in Tulsa also. I believe the drummer is Jimmy Karstein. There are several other great Tulsa musicians on stage at The Cain's who played with Leon, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Bread and the Tractors etc.

If you play in a band with slightly younger guitarists, they may be more influenced by L Skynard  version of this song. If so a good guitarist may work out very powerful and intricate guitar part for it and you may want to stay out of this song as a harp player and give the guitarist the light. My experience anyway.

Darrell

great musician
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBDup86RyUg
[https://www.bing.com/th?id=OVP.90ct7R3tGYNaQtUDaulKOAIIEl&pid=Api]<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBDup86RyUg>

J.J.Cale - Call me the breeze, Cain's Ballroom, Tulsa (2004)<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBDup86RyUg>
www.youtube.com
J.J.Cale - Call me the breeze, Cain's Ballroom, Tulsa (2004)