[Harp-L] Standard Harmonica tunings and recording

pdxharpdog@xxxxx pdxharpdog@xxxxx
Thu Mar 23 14:53:16 EDT 2017

Question to the pros out there regarding harmonica tuning, studio recording and playing with other instruments and their standard tunings in general - even in a gigging scenario. I just want to understand what tuning methodology that Pros use. I have spent a fair amount of time in the studio recording, but never analyzed it in too much detail because no one has complained.

Since a lot of my band's songs require some single note melody lines, it makes some sense to use equal temperament tuning. But ET doesn't sound good in most other scenarios (IMHO) But if a song requires both melody lines as well as chording, rhythm and even traditional 2nd or 3rd position bends - what tunings and set to what base frequency do you recording pros set up your harp to? Change harps in different takes based on the part?

Sometimes it seems like I can be noticeably out of tune with the guitarist who is tuned to 440, when my harp is tuned to a starting frequency of 442 or maybe it's caused by that and the just intonation or compromised tuning of specific notes. I'm not talking about trying to match up a doubled riff with a slide guitar part - which can be very problematic for obvious reasons. Is there a general rule of thumb as to what tuning you go into the studio with and where you set the base tuning frequency to before studio - assuming you might not just use out of the box tunings? Always dependent on the song and the part? Or no worries because the recording engineer can tweak the tuning after the fact?

Our bands recording engineer always says out loud prior to me stepping into the booth to record my harp part - " Ok I'm ready for that pitch approximator guy now" He's a funny guy!

Thanks for your input.

Ross Macdonald