[Harp-L] Your Tribute to James Cotton

Leonard Schwartzberg leonard1@xxxxx
Thu Mar 23 13:36:31 EDT 2017

Bill:   Thanks very much for your quick response.    I will definitely give it a shot, however, at my skill level I have difficulty trying to “play along” with the music…….. If perhaps you might tab out the first couple of notes, I MAY be able to start to fill in and play along.  I will email you back in a few weeks and very much would appreciate your critique and tips at that time.    Thanks again, Leonard

From: William Lifford [mailto:william.lifford at xxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2017 1:08 PM
To: Leonard Schwartzberg
Cc: harp-l at xxxxx
Subject: Re: Your Tribute to James Cotton

Hi Leonard,

I don't have tab for the piece I played, as I was kind of making it up as I go along.  Well, to be more specific, I put it together on the spot using some riffs that Cotton played in "The Creeper".

You could definitely do the song on an A harmonica.  I used an Ab because that's what key I bought the Lucky 13 in, but The Creeper is in E using an A harmonica in second position (playing "crossed").  If you use his song as a reference use an A harp... and if you use mine, use an Ab.

I think the best way I can help you is that you could ask me questions about parts were having problems with, and I could try to tell you what I am doing or what James Cotton is doing. If you have an iPhone you can use the voice recorder and record what you're playing so I can hear what to advise you on.

 If that might work for you, email me back and I'll get you my cell number.

Bill