[Harp-L] How to Clean Tarnished Reed Plates

Bob Marsolais bob@xxxxx
Wed Mar 22 20:43:57 EDT 2017

I made the mistake of cleaning the reed plates from my Manji in an
ultrasonic cleaner using jewelry cleaner diluted weaker than the
instructions said to dilute.  The stainless steel reed plates are nice and
shiny but the reeds themselves are very tarnished.  Is there a safe way to
remove the tarnish without damaging them?  I've thought of using a very fine
abrasive like toothpaste and very carefully with little pressure brushing in
the direction of the reed away from the weld, but I imagine that's rather
risky.  Any thoughts?  Perhaps I'll just leave them like they are.

Thanks for your thoughts.

---