[Harp-L] Needing some charting tips

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Tue Mar 21 20:11:07 EDT 2017

One way would be to play along with the Youtube performance http://hueylewisandthenews.com/ <http://hueylewisandthenews.com/>
 harp-L respondents will give you the key of the harp and playing position.

The world won’t end if you don’t play exactly the same riffs that Huey does.  Anything that fits the chords should be OK if played with verve.

OR…...

You could  download a $6 copy of the sheet music from Musicnotes.

See http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0139000 <http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0139000>
All of the needed information will be there.  Your challenge is to convert it into your preferred notation and practice it.

From that you can choose the key of harmonica and make tabs if that is what you need.

If this is your first try at making tabs, you should:
	make a table of each note of the scale and its corresponding tab symbol
	then mark the tabs on the sheet music in color.

I think that I have heard of an app for making tabs from standard notation.

This will give you the exact melody, timing and form of the song.

Gentle prod: if you had learned to read music, you wouldn’t have this problem.

Vern