[Harp-L] Is custom work worth it?

Richard Hunter rhunter377@xxxxx
Fri Mar 17 11:11:56 EDT 2017

I've owned a few custom harps in the last decade from a range of techs.  In
general, I've found that the biggest payoff is not so much in terms of
playability per se, although the custom harps uniformly play very well
indeed. At this point in time off the shelf instruments from Seydel and
Suzuki (among others), in particular the high-end models like the Seydel
1847, play very well too.  When Joe Filisko started cutomizing Hohner
harps, the factory products were just plain crap.  That's not the case
today.

Where the custom harps seem to perform better than the rest in my kit is in
terms of reliability.  My custom harps just seem to keep doing what they do
for years and years, with minor adjustments if any.  Not so for most of the
others.

I don't consider custom harps a must-have, but they're certainly worth
trying for any player who intends to stick with the instrument.  I think
it's just as important to try one as it is to experiment with factory harps
up and down the price range.

Regards, RIchard Hunter
--
"The Lucky One" 21st century rock harmonica project at
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/richard-hunter-s-the-lucky-one/x/5259889#/