[Harp-L] Is custom work worth it?

Chris Hofstader cdh@xxxxx
Fri Mar 17 10:57:30 EDT 2017

Tom et al,

While Tom has an obvious bias as custom harps are his business, I wanted to talk about the one Blue Moon instrument I own and how much I love it. As I always remind people on this list, I’m like the least accomplished player here. After yet another debate about custom harps on this list, I wanted to try one for myself to see if it made a difference to an advanced beginner/early intermediate player. I can’t speak to things like “tone” or other acoustical effects but the Blue Moon Manji C harp with brass comb and other of Tom’s customizations is by far the most playable instrument I own. Compared to a stock Manji or 1847 (the two stock models that make up most of the instruments I try to play), there’s no comparison - everything just feels easier for me on my lone Blue Moon harp. I’m hoping to grow my collection of Tom’s harps until I have one in each of my favorite keys.

I like the brass comb because its extra heft feels nice in my hands but that it’s more air tight than a stock model is probably the most important aspect of a Blue Moon custom job versus an out-of-the-box one.

While in Edinburgh in October, I was hanging out with Tomlin Leckey (my instructor). He was a custom harp skeptic until I handed him my Blue Moon C harp and he played it a little. I’ve noticed recently that he’s done some YouTube videos about custom harps and in my private correspondence with him, he seems to be a convert. Of course, my Blue Moon harp in Tomlin’s hands sounded incredible versus my squeaking my way through riffs and licks I know :-).

I think Tom’s prices are more than fair, he seems a decent dude and I’m definitely a believer in his work. I can’t speak to other custom harps as it’s the only one I’ve tried but I’d wager that others on this list who do such work probably do a great job too.

A note to other beginners: the only thing that will make you or me into a better player is not the instrument, any decent harp is great for learning, the difference is all about the amount of time you spend practicing and playing whenever you can. A lot of beginners (including me a few years ago) run out and spend a ton of money on a ton of gear and have expensive collections of stuff but still sound like a beginner blowing no matter what gear they own. It’s not the instrument, mike, amp, effects box, whatever - good harmonica playing is all about the player and the good players, the great players all got to where they are by practicing, practicing and, of course, practicing.

Happy Hacking,
cdh