[Harp-L] Chromatic KEY choices

Richard Hunter rhunter377@xxxxx
Tue Mar 14 13:59:27 EDT 2017

Jerl Welch wrote:
<Just a curious question. Playing in different keys and modes on the
Chromatic , is it easier to <change to a different key chromatic , or just
stay on a C harp.

Most of the responses to this message say stick with the C chromatic, and
most of the time that's good advice.  However, chromatics in different keys
are very useful if you want to use chording and the C harp doesn't support
the chords you want, or if the key you need to play in isn't so easy on a C
chromatic.

I own a CX12 in the key of E that I've used on a number of occasions.  I
used it on a recording session last year where I had to play a solo in the
key of A.  It was a lot more fluid on an E chromatic, where the key of A
lays out the same as the key of F on a C chromatic. (Flat keys are in most
cases easier on the chromatic than sharp keys.)

In general terms, it's always better to have the facility to play fluently
in all 12 keys on a single instrument.  I've certainly spend a lot of time
working on that. But I haven't forgotten one of the great lessons of the
blues, which is to get it any way you can, or one of the great lessons of
studio work, which is to make it good enough as fast as you can.

Tommy Morgan told me that he carried two sets of chromatics in all 12 keys
to his sessions, one tuned to A440, the other to A447 so he could play the
thing hard without dipping below concert pitch, and so he could chord as
desired.  If he did it, I'm not ashamed to do it.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
--
"The Lucky One" 21st century rock harmonica project at
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/richard-hunter-s-the-lucky-one/x/5259889#/