[Harp-L] Chromatic KEY choices

Doug Schroer dougharps@xxxxx
Tue Mar 14 10:36:55 EDT 2017

The choice of playing it all on a C or using different keys is a matter of
choice to be based on your musical goals and aspirations.

If you are beginning to learn chromatic harmonica and want to be able to
read classical music or to play music that change keys dramatically, then
working to play all keys fluently and fluidly on one instrument is the way
to go.  The best way to become good on chromatic (as a horn player would
become good on a horn) is to devote yourself to mastering playing one
instrument in all keys.  If you are planning on reading, then the music you
play will be in the key on the sheet music without transposition or buying
various keys of sheet music. Doing it all on one instrument is the way the
greats approached chromatic, though some renowned players were reported to
have used another key on occasion to facilitate a good performance.

Regardless of whether you decide to use different keys of chromatics later,
I recommend that you begin with just one key. Usually the key of choice is
a C instrument, though there is a lot of sheet music written for Bb
instruments and for other keys, too. Sticking to just one key for a while
while learning will help you gain skill on the instrument while you learn
your way around it. You need to learn where the intervals are located.
Later on you can explore whether you are able to or want to switch
instruments (and scales) without confusion.

However, if you can already navigate a chromatic fairly well in a few keys
and you want to expand your playing into more challenging keys so you sound
good playing in difficult keys without years of work, then in my opinion
keyed chromatics are a valid choice.  It depends on the music genres you
like, the difficulty of the songs you want to play, and whether you will be
reading notes or improvising. If you want to play competently in public in
keys that are more difficult on a C chromatic, keyed chromatics are an
option.

For improvising in the Americana, folk, and roots music I like, keyed
chromatics work well for me. I can improvise readily playing by ear in keys
that would be inaccessible to me on a single instrument. I use the slide a
lot, too. This music can be played on a C (just listen to David Naditch
play bluegrass and Gypsy jazz!), but often can be more easily played on an
instrument closer to the key of the song. Chord options are different
depending on the key of the song and key of the instrument, and some keys
require difficult combinations of breath change and slide use that make
plyaing smooth phrases very difficult.

My first instrument was a Bb clarinet, so I became familiar with the
relativity of keys and the idea of transposing instruments early on. My
first chromatic at age 11 was a G chromatic, because I first experienced
chromatic harmonica when a relative played old popular songs on a chromatic
in that key at a sing-a-long by a camp fire. Saxophones come in different
keys as do some horns. It is all relative.

If you are really serious about being a good player, particularly if you
intend to read music in many keys, keep working on using the C chromatic
(or whatever key of instrument you have chosen as your key of chromatic to
learn on) for all or most of your playing.

I do not claim to be a great chromatic player, but I can perform the music
that I enjoy competently and I can improvise in all keys by using keyed
chromatics.

Doug S.