[Harp-L] Newby here--add 6 grafs

philharpn@xxxxx philharpn@xxxxx
Wed Mar 8 01:46:36 EST 2017

Get  a Hohner Big River. Good not too pricey harp. To start with.

AIR Pressure has nothing to do with bending and overblows. It's finesse not force. Bends and overblows can be executed with a whisper because it is the constriction of the base of the tongue against the throat that makes bends possible. If you can whistle different pitches, you can bend notes. (Overblows are just fancy bends.) Whistle a high note and whistle a low note. Pay attention how the base of your tongue shifts. That is how bends are executed. Air pressure or force of the air stream has nothing to do with it. It's the constriction of the tongue/throat which cause the air stream to flow FASTER is what changes the pitch.

Mike is right, Airway size does not determine how well anyone can whistle nor does it affect how well anyone can bend notes. The thing that makes this whistling explanation difficult to understand is few people whistle on the inhale; they mostly exhale whistle. So telling someone to practice whistling on the inhale is difficult to understand.  But just trying an inhale without the whistle -- just an air stream -- will illustrate how the fake whistle and bends work.

As someone else has suggested, get a teacher. Even if the teacher is someone just a little bit better than you. Bending notes is not rocket science. Anyone can do it and thousands have mastered the technique over the years. If you can't find a real live teacher maybe YouTube or Skype will help.

A teacher once told me of a telephone student (before Skype) who was bending notes but putting the tip of the tongue into comb hole. It resulted in a bad partial bend that couldn't be sustained. Once he met the student in person and saw what the student was attempting without much success, the teacher was able to get the student on the right track.

 But I've always felt that in order to take advantage of of videos -- like or recorded -- requires some basic knowledge and skill. Most of them require skills above a rank beginner. (Now I suppose the Skype teachers will relate how a student who didn't know which end to blow on the harp became

Start with the draw bend on Hole No. 1 because  it has only one bend. Buy yourself a $50 keyboard and match your bend with the Db/C# on the keyboard with your bend. Once you can bend a few notes you are in a position to determine that your original problem was not getting a clean note but a choked note (accidental bend).
All the bends are easily identifiable on a keyboard. The object is to match the pitch on the keyboard so that you can hit the bent notes dead on; not sliding into them and past them. If you can't play the bent notes on pitch, you're making noise not music.

Give me 6 grafs and make it sing!

Hope this helps

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurent Vigouroux <laurentHarp at xxxxx>
To: 'Lynn wemmer' <fitwoman56 at xxxxx>; 'Michael Rubin' <michaelrubinharmonica at xxxxx>
Cc: harp-l <harp-l at xxxxx>; 'Michelle LeFree' <mlefree at xxxxx>
Sent: Tue, Mar 7, 2017 6:25 am
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Newby here

Hello Lynn

It's true that air pressure is key for playing the harmonica (especially for bends and overbends).
But I would tend to think that the airway of any human being is much, much bigger than what the instrument requires.
So I don't think the smaller diameter female airway has an impact.

But this is just a guess.

Laurent
www.planetharmonica.com