[Harp-L] What first attracted you to harmonica? Why did you learn it .

dfwhoot@xxxxx dfwhoot@xxxxx
Mon Mar 6 18:02:03 EST 2017

 Everyone has a story. Mind started when I was growing up at home, and my Dad, played one occasionally , with his guitar. I'd sneak it out and blow on it, but not making music. I was in the Navy, in Viet Nam , walking the streets of Saigon and saw a harmonica for sale , and bought it. I'd play that thing all the time , especially on watch . Playing , or trying to , songs I grew up with , and after a while , could actually recognize some. Got stationed in Calif. in the late 60's and got turned on to a lot of stuff , especially Paul Butterfield , Canned Heat and all those. I grew more attached to the harp and played as much as possible. Got Discharged in 71 and made it back to Texas, and eventually heard a harp player named Charlie McCoy, and my god, what he could do with this little 10 hole. That was it , I started buying all his LP's and it was playing playing playing. Didn't look at it as practicing. With blues techniques , and add those to country licks , I felt satisfied. I made contact with Charlie , for lessons , and he said he wasn't giving them , but to get involved with SPAH . I did , in 91 , and the rest is history. My first convention was in Detroit, Howard Levy was doing his seminar there and all the Trio players , it was just unbelievable . I came back and started HOOT and my mission was to encourage everyone with the interest in the harmonica to get as involved as possible To become an accomplished player takes a lifetime.