[Harp-L] What first attracted you to harmonica? Why did you learn to play it?

Michael Rubin michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxx
Sun Mar 5 12:24:32 EST 2017

I was  probably around five when I saw a plastic banana harmonica.

I was around 10 when John Sebastian Jr.  played Welcome Back Kotter on the
John Davidson show.  He played harp and then threw it away over his back.
Then he pulled out another harp and threw that one away.  Fascinating.

I was 15 and a camp counselor.  My boss brought a harp to work and let me
see it.  Instead of playing it for a few seconds, I took it to a corner and
played for a half an hour.  A kid walked by and said ,"Wow!  Are you a
professional?"

A half a year later I bought Jon Gindick's Country and Blues Harmonica for
the Musically Hopeless.  From the first moment I played it that day,  I
knew it was my thing.

The same boss lent me a John Lee Hooker record.  Zero harp.  I loved it and
said, "I don't care if harmonica has never been played in blues, I'M going
to play harmonica in blues!"

I went to the record store.  It became evident immediately that harmonica
and blues were connected.  The blues section might as well have said
"Michael Rubin's section"  because every allowance dime went there.
Michael Rubin
michaelrubinharmonica.com