[Harp-L] What first attracted you to harmonica? Why did you learn to play it?

Slim Heilpern slim@xxxxx
Sun Mar 5 10:42:40 EST 2017

Great stories, everyone!

Hear’s mine (in short form):

I had been playing at a very beginner level ever since my dad gave me his one of his well-used super chromonica 270’s when I was 5 years old. I played it a lot for a while but had set it aside once I started playing guitar at age 8. But then in my late teens I was listening to a Django Reinhardt compilation and two songs came on featuring Larry Adler, who I was familiar with via some pop and classical 78s/EPs that my father had in his collection. But here he was swingin’ hard along with Django and I was stunned enough by the performance to get out my old chromatic and start practicing. Not long after I started listening to Stevie Wonder and then Toots. Those 3 gentlemen were and remain, all these years later, a huge inspiration to me. Between them, it’s all there.

- Slim.