[Harp-L] Overbending vs. Half-Valving

Gary Lehmann gnarlyheman@xxxxx
Sun Mar 5 01:04:26 EST 2017

Part of the charm of the harmonica is the chords--so I find Melody Maker (and Major Cross) to be the best compromise between chords and chromaticity.
But for blues, Richter is tough to beat.
So learning to OB, if only holes 5 and 6, carries that tuning close enough to chromaticity for my purposes. Let's face it, the bottom of the harp is largely chromatic, with draw bends. And a lot of folks avoid the top octave--not the top players of course. . .
I see a lot of folks using half valved harmonicas who are unaware of the purpose of those valves--
Sent from my iPhone