[Harp-L] Bass harmonica on stage

tmcg@xxxxx tmcg@xxxxx
Sun Jun 25 08:30:38 EDT 2017

Thanks, George, Chris, Mike, Richard, Ken and others for your advise.  Sounds like the active EQ is the way to go for my situation. Before I go shopping, any seem more convenient, easier to set, than others? I getting excited about adding the bass harmonica on stage. A lot of people/musicians have never seen one, and I'm hoping it will stir some interest in keeping this cool instrument popular.
Tom McGovern
Richmond, MI

P.S. Shameless plug: check out our schedule at airmargaritaville.net and come out to see a show. We've been at it since 1998.

-----Original Message-----
From: "George Miklas" <harmonicat at xxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2017 7:47am
To: BluzeHarp at xxxxx, harp-l at xxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Bass harmonica on stage

Good dialog Chris.

Chest Mics serve a purpose, but they may not be for everyone, nor every
stage situation.

My personal example where chest mics work is in the harmonica trio where
all three chest mics are built identically. Then when players switch
instruments, there are no dials to turn, it's just plug-n-play.

One of my personal experience where chest mic does not work is when I play
bass guitar with the Sgro brothers. There is one or two arrangements where
they want the bass harmonica. The chest mic does not work in this case
because of the time that it takes to set up the mic in between songs. In
this case I set up a mic on a stand. As recommended in an earlier post, I
use a Sennheiser e604 for this.

Another place that I found a chest mic didnt work for me was switching
between harp and bass harmonica is in the orchestra pit for Big River.  In
the pit I used a Shure SM-58 on a stand, and a Green Bullet in the hand. My
amp was in front of me tilted up so that I could easily access the EQ. So
when it was time to play bass harmonica, I just made quick adjustments to
reduce highs and boost lows, played the bass line, and then reset the amp
again.

George.

--

   -
   - *HARMONICA GALLERY SALES* and *REPAIR SERVICE*