[Harp-L] ACE Chromatic New wood inserts by Tom Halchak at SPAH

Winslow Yerxa winslowyerxa@xxxxx
Fri Jul 21 17:39:59 EDT 2017

At the 2016 SPAH convention, I both played and listened to the ACE 48 with both wood and brass inserts.

Listening, I could track which was which by sound. The mellower sound was wood, while the brighter sound was brass. This was true even when each was played by a different harmonica player (the demonstrator players were Tom Stryker and Gerhard Mueller).

Later, I had the opportunity to play the instrument with both wood and brass inserts. Not only did I hear the difference as a player, the people sitting next to me, Michelle LeFree and David Fairweather, remarked on how strong the differences where when heard close up.

I haven’t confirmed this but I believe Hohner will have the ACE 48 available to try out at the SPAH convention.

Winslow Yerxa
Producer, the Harmonica Collective
Author, Harmonica For Dummies, Second Edition: ISBN 978-1-118-88076-0
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool Community Music School
President emeritus, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica