[Harp-L] Hohner Echo tremolo harps

Steve moorcot@xxxxx
Tue Jan 24 13:58:03 EST 2017

If you put an Echo comb in water you've destroyed it. Another problem is the fraught process of removing and, especially, replacing the reedplates. Some of the nail holes are in very thin partitions of wood. Every time you take out and put back those pesky nails they end up that much looser. I've played Echos for many years and my advice is to avoid removing the reedplates at all costs. Always play with a clean mouth. Remove the covers to clean the reeds only when necessary. You can clean reeds carefully with isopropyl alcohol. Unfortunately, Echo reeds do go out of tune and this adversely affects the tremolo effect.  Retuning is a nightmare because you have to keep holding the covers back on in order to check that your embouchure on the naked reedplates isn't giving a false result. So just think about those issues if the INNER reeds need tuning. If you're adept, you can invent a way of tuning the inner reeds with the plates still on, but you are then into bodge-world.

Invest in harps with plastic bodies. You can just wash them under the tap. I think Tombos are the best, as they stay in tune and those notes missing at the bottom end on Echos are gloriously present!