[Harp-L] Burnishing v Embossing

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak@xxxxx
Sat Jan 21 04:29:37 EST 2017

Techniques learned from working with one metal can certainly crossover to
other metals. I worked a couple years in a shipyard as a fitter/welder so I
am familiar with working steel. I later studied jewelry design in college
and later worked at a jewelry factory. I still think burnishing is the more
apt term to use for reed slot shaping.

Burnishing in jewelry-making refers to using a hard smooth tool (mostly
steel) to shape and polish softer metal such as silver, gold, copper,
pewter, etc. You could even use a burnisher made from stone. Working copper
alloys is similar to working silver alloys.  Here are a few links to
jewelers using a burnisher:

http://jewelrymonk.com/2016/03/14/how-to-use-a-burnishing-tool-to-polish/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuHKP-D_xC4

Eric