[Harp-L] Burnishing v Embossing

John Goodwin australia.goodwin@xxxxx
Fri Jan 20 19:31:20 EST 2017

Swaging isn't the correct term. Swaging infers stamping or punching along
with dies and less subtle hammers and presses. It is generally an extreme
form of material manipulation.
Burnishing is correct. You burnish the edge of a wood scaper to raise a
cutting edge. The extruded cutting edge is merely the useful result of the
burnishing the same as what's done when you burnish the edge of a reed
slot. Burnishing is much much more finessed than swaging.
Though like so much of our bastardised English language, I can't see the
term embossing being changed anytime soon.
I did my time as a toolmaker working on press tools, dies and punches.