[Harp-L] Burnishing v Embossing

Joseph Leone 3n037@xxxxx
Fri Jan 20 18:52:58 EST 2017

I might (repeat, might) be cautious about using too small a diameter swaging wand. As this would cause a furrow in the smeared metal. Pushing the metal down into
the slots, which in turn would need the reed to swing lower than necessary. It seems to me that swinging closer to the original surface is all that is necessary and would
ultimately be less (shall we say) strain on the reed itself.

Keeping in mind that the reed here in this particular case, is the more fragile part and the reed plate being the (more or less) ‘base’ part. Or dead weight part. Inert as far
as movement goes. And it is the reed’s movement that give us the sound. ‘I’ as an island would advocate a swaging tool at least 11-12 times the dia. of the reed’s width.
Ergo..if a reed is .10 inch (2.54mm) wide, the tool should be 1.10 to 1.20 inches (27.9 to 30.4mm) diameter. Ergo.. a 3/4” (or 19mm) socket would be swell. Round edges,
chrome plated, held at a 30 to 45 degree angle to the slot.

smo-joe (who has made things from practically nothing at all..and if he ever gets it down to nothing, there will be a rip in the space/time continuum) lolol.