[Harp-L] Burnishing v Embossing

Rick Dempster rickdempster33@xxxxx
Fri Jan 20 18:05:14 EST 2017

Yes Aongus, and Joe. Neither embossing nor burnishing describes the
pressing of the metal to alter its shape.
Swaging does. I am not a professional tradesman, but a fairly experienced
handyman, who has worked in
machine and sheet metal shops in times past.
I know of all these terms, and I am familiar with "swaging" through
attaching turnbuckles to steel cables,
such as might be used in fencing or ship rigging.
The metal is pressed so that it entraps the steel cable.
I would use 'emboss if making an inscription, and 'burnish' as a form of
polishing.

Here are some internet dictionary definitions:
Burnish:
polish (something, especially metal) by rubbing.
"highly burnished armour"
synonyms: polish (up), shine
<https://www.google.com.au/search?espv=2&biw=1955&bih=1062&q=define+shine&forcedict=shine&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjzq9_i6dHRAhXMFJQKHVtIDZoQ_SoIHDAA>
, brighten
<https://www.google.com.au/search?espv=2&biw=1955&bih=1062&q=define+brighten&forcedict=brighten&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjzq9_i6dHRAhXMFJQKHVtIDZoQ_SoIHTAA>,
rub
up/down, buff (up), smooth
<https://www.google.com.au/search?espv=2&biw=1955&bih=1062&q=define+smooth&forcedict=smooth&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjzq9_i6dHRAhXMFJQKHVtIDZoQ_SoIHjAA>
, glaze
<https://www.google.com.au/search?espv=2&biw=1955&bih=1062&q=define+glaze&forcedict=glaze&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjzq9_i6dHRAhXMFJQKHVtIDZoQ_SoIHzAA>
;
*archaic*furbish
<https://www.google.com.au/search?espv=2&biw=1955&bih=1062&q=define+furbish&forcedict=furbish&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjzq9_i6dHRAhXMFJQKHVtIDZoQ_SoIITAA>
"marks can be removed by scraping and burnishing the metal"

Emboss:
carve, mould, or stamp a design on (a surface or object) so that it stands
out in relief.
"an embossed brass dish"

> Swage:
*1*.
shape (metal) using a swage, especially in order to reduce its cross
section.
"the instrument has a swaging head and a pulsed action which flattens the
rivet in a series of rolling motions"